Saturday 21 December 2002

An oddly assorted violin trio enabled me to sort out some of my likes and dislikes (aka prejudices).
I responded with coolness to Jerrold Rubenstein and Dalia Ouziel (1997) playing the three Brahms sonatas. I enjoyed Emil Telmanyi and Georg Vasarhelyi (Berlin, 1939) in the first two Brahms sonatas. And, very surprised, I thoroughly enjoyed Joan Berkhemer and Kyoko Hashimoto in the Mendelssohn F major sonata.
Why? Rubenstein played beautifully; too beautifully, and usually too slowly. Telmanyi, very much in the early last century Central European tradition, took 8:31 and 7:05 respectively over the first movements of the first two Brahms sonatas, and this felt about right. Rubenstein took 11:19 and 8:57 respectively, and this dragged.
Every violinist should understand why there are not too many sonatas and concertos for solo clarinets, oboes or flutes; it’s not that these three woodwind instruments don’t sound beautiful. It’s just that beautiful sound begins to pall after five minutes or so. The best violinists vary the colour and dynamics constantly (Heifetz was a master of this). Beautiful-sound violinists such as Mischa Elman broke up the stream of sound with varied bowing and a lot of right arm articulation. Alas, Rubenstein (ex Julliard) has a lovely Joseph Guarneri violin with a particularly beautiful rich sound on the lower strings. And don’t we know it! In the end, the beautiful slow, rich sound with the seamless son filé from the immaculately smooth bowing arm have the same effect as eating an entire kilo of high-grade pâté de foie gras. Frank Almond in the same three sonatas eventually had a similar effect on me.
Which is why Joan Berkhemer was like a refreshing glass of sparkling water. He (I think Joan, like Ana, is male name in Dutch, for some odd reason) plays the violin with zest and spirit. And it’s infectious. I am not a Mendelssohn fan, but enjoyed the contrast with the over-precious Rubenstein. Berkhemer sounded like a violinist; Rubenstein reminded me of a clarinettist.
Telmanyi in Brahms is no model; but he kept things moving and was consistently interesting. I’ll go back to his two performances (not surprisingly, his playing reminded me of Jeno Léner and the Budapest of the late nineteenth century).
Insight or prejudice? I don’t know. Just keep me away from violinists who play consistently beautifully!

4 comments:

iarful said...

I'm not surprised at all - I generally loathe all Mendelssohn except the string quartets, piano trios and the violin concerto, but share your enthusiasm for these scintillating performances. It helps that Kyoko Hashimoto whom you don't mention (OK, you're a string player) is a quite outstandingly good pianist - too little known. Constant beauty of tone is almost as meaningless as constant intensity - an intelligent reading of the piece articulated through varying tone colour, attack, dynamics, rhythmic nuances, etc. is what really matters - as listening to many masterclasses (and a few performances) by Sandor Vegh taught me (not the sound but the sense of the sound). That was where I first heard Hashimoto too (seek out her CD of late Schumann - and a forthcoming Schubert disc). Readers may be interested to know that the Mendelssohn performances can now be heard on Spotify.

Harry Collier said...

My apologies to Ms Hashimoto. And I'll certainly look out for any Schubert disc she produces; Schubert piano recordings are normally one of my auto-buys.

And thanks for summing up my feelings as to what varying colours do for violin playing. I agree with you whole-heartedly.

David said...

It has been a bit of a wait but worth it. Kyoko's Schubert and Debussy recital was recorded at a concert in Tokyo in December 2009 and released a few months ago. I managed to obtain a copy from her when she was at Prussia Cove in October. A fabulouly detailed, moving and intelligent reading of the D935 impromptus - every nuance of the score given meaning - followed by the second book of Debussy Préludes which are delicate and strong by turns, always fabulously characterised. For the moment the CD, on her usual label Nami Records, is only distributed in Japan, but it can be downloaded from iTunes or amazon - albeit in a slightly bit reduced format. I find it totally addictive - and I've compared it with Uchida's and Brendel's readings (two of my other absolute favourite artists). Recommended with the greatest fervour.

David said...

Last Sunday, 25 March 2012, Rob Cowan included Kyoko's version of the last of the D935 impromptus in his 'Sunday Morning' programme of "great Schubert performances" - alongside Edwin Fischer and Wilhem Backhaus, and in other works such famous names as Hans Hotter, Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau, Feuermann, Heifetz and Piatigorsky. Very few contemporary artists were chosen. "Played with an immaculate sense of style and perfect musical timing". Absolutely! He added at the end "and the whole set, I must say, is as good as that!" which is also true.