Tuesday 10 July 2007

David Gomberg sent me a broadcast of Akiko Suwanai playing the second Prokofiev violin concerto (Luxembourg Philharmonic, Emmanuel Krevine, July 2007). Totally admirable, as is pretty well everything this violinist does. Strange that she is not better known, since she plays with intelligence, extraordinary ability, and a real concentration on the music rather than on drawing attention to herself and her great violin. Pretty well everything Akiko does is OK by me; real musical intelligence, and a real mastery of the violin. It's an unfair world. Of the 49 pieces of music I have her playing, I would guess 47 are totally admirable -- I only hesitate over her Bruch G minor concerto, and Scottish Fantasy; but maybe this is also because Neville Marriner is accompanying.

No comments: