Saturday 12 April 2008

It has been a while since I last enjoyed the music of Camille Saint-Saëns ("the greatest composer who wasn't a genius", someone said). But this evening I basked in his fourth piano concerto in a pretty definitive 1939 performance by Robert Casadesus, Pierre Monteux and the Concertgebouworkest. Super work, and inspired playing.
For dessert: Back to Bach (the cantatas BWV 18 -- Gleichwie der Regen und Schnee vom Himmel fällt -- and BWV 106 -- Gottes Zeit ist die allerbeste Zeit). The performances by the Ricercar Consort under Philippe Pierlot are near-ideal, to my mind. BWV 18 has the viola part that I used to practice so assiduously! Coming back to Bach after my recent diet of Handel and Vivaldi, I notice the sheer density of the music; everything is polyphony (but also, of course, highly melodic).

2 comments:

oisfetz said...

I love Saint-Saëns music. His first
v.s.( by Heifetz,of course),is one
of the most beautiful I ever heard. All his chamber and solo piano works are wanderful IMO.

Harry Collier said...

Quite. It's just that I seldom seem to find S-S pm my turntable. His opera Samson et Dalila has been in my "awaiting listening" pile for around five years!