Sunday 24 August 2008

For some reason, I have never previously come across Borodin's D major piano trio. But I enjoyed it this afternoon played by Emil Gilels, Dmitry Tziganov and Sergei Shirinsky (Moscow, 1950). Followed it with Fauré's Op 15 quartet for piano and string trio (Gilels again, Kogan, Barshai and Rostropovich). Moscow, 1958.

The Soviet Union was a pretty grim place back in those days. But it did produce an astonishing crop of first-class musicians and musical performances. Compare it with Switzerland's contribution! The two transfers from Doremi are extremely good, and the company appears to have mended its glassy, over-filtering ways of the past.

4 comments:

oisfetz said...

Tziganov and Shirinsky were members
of famous Beethoven SQ, tbe best
russian before the Borodin.Their
recordings of LvB and Shostakovich SQ are legendary.y

Anonymous said...

Well, the argument's just begging to be made, that it was exactly that adversity (famed constructor of character) which caused so many great musicians to arise in the Soviet Union. I'm not going to make it, mind you, but if someone did they'd just need to wave their arms and mutter "safe, comfortable living leads to softness; grim conditions focus the mind and the will." Or something like that.

Really, I'm just leaving a comment to make your acquaintance; I stumbled upon your blog via a discussion-in-your-comments about the relative worth of violin concertos by Rakov and Shebalin, and I said to myself... "I have found my people." :^)


Jim Moskowitz The Unknown Composers Page

Harry Collier said...

Thanks for the comment, Jim. Also glad to see Albéric Magnard on your "unknown composers" page. Most unknown composers are quite justly unknown, but there are many who deserve a regular airing. I can never get Otar Taktakishvili's first violin concerto out of my head. But when did you ever meet it in a concert (or on a recent CD)?

oisfetz said...

Say Harry, it was I who introduce
you to Takta.first concert,didn't I?
I told you that it's one of the
best I know!
And watch for our friend. He sells
on Ebay some very rare stuff.