Tuesday 21 July 2009

After over fifty years of listening, it is now very rarely that I enjoy a performance of Beethoven's violin concerto; the piece is just too familiar ever since my days at Pagham and the Vox LP of Bronislaw Gimpel with Heinrich Hollreiser (I still have the battered old LP). Thus my surprise this evening in re-listening to Julia Fischer in the piece, with David Zinman and the BBC Symphony Orchestra recorded off-air in May 2007. Those who like Nathan Milstein will like Julia Fischer; there is a no-nonsense approach to the work, with swift tempi, and the violin playing is quite superb. An unexpected pleasure. I must not forget this recording.

I came back to it by accident, having pulled out the CD to check Lola Bobescu playing the Vieuxtemps fifth violin concerto (with Karl Böhm in 1963). Again, the Bobescu performance proved to be totally superb, even though this really is Heifetz's concerto. However, Lola yields little to Jascha in an exhilarating performance. This remarkable compilation CD is completed by a classic performance of Dvorak's Four Romantic Pieces Op. 75 played by Ivan Zenaty and Anton Kubalek; a most enjoyable performance of one of the few works of Dvorak I can listen to over and over again. The performance by Zenaty almost makes me forget the favourite recording by Akiko Suwanai. All together, a CD to treasure (HC 266).

3 comments:

David Cohen, artcritical.com said...

Harry: I share your high estimation of Julia Fischer, one of my personal favorite young musicians. Good call comparing her clarity and unaffected directness to Milstein. I thought I had all her recordings and have been dying to hear her play the Beethoven concerto for ages. I had a ticket to hear play the piece her in Boston in April, a birthday treat to myself (I live in NYC) but alas she bailed out - Isabelle Faust stood in for her, hardly a substitute. Turned out JF had a good excuse for not traveling - pregnancy. Anyhow, where did you get your recording of Zinman and the BBC SO?

David Cohen, artcritical.com said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
oisfetz said...

So,Harry, one of the few of Dvorak works you can listen, hum?. It's a pity you don like chamber works, because IMHO Dvorak's are some of the most beautiful of the 19th.century. About LvB v.c.,it's one of those works that had saturate me. I can't stand it anymore, in any version.