Tuesday 29 September 2009

In strict Moslem societies, women -- even pretty women -- are obliged to cover themselves in public with some variety of burka. In the modern musical world, violinists -- even pretty young violinists -- who want to play or record Bach in public are obliged to chose a dry sound with no vibrato. It is not surprising that when Kreisler, followed by Elman and Heifetz, burst upon the world with warm vibrato, the old order of non-vibrating violinists was swept away pretty quickly.

In her new recording of the complete Bach unaccompanied partitas and sonatas (Hyperion) Alina Ibragimova sounds as though she is playing on a somewhat harsh violin. No warming vibrato anywhere. Which is a shame (and Johann Sebastian Bach would probably have thought so too). It's the current fashion, Herr Bach. It's a double shame, since Ms Ibragimova is a very considerable violin talent indeed. Unlike her rivals such as Hilary Hahn, Julia Fischer, Joshua Bell, et al she eschews major publicity. She just plays the violin, very well indeed. I remarked before (17 February) how I was amazed to enjoy someone playing Bach's B minor partita; the music is good quality professional rather than inspired, but Ibragimova has you hanging on to every note. Remarkable, even with the dry, wirery sound of a baroque violin. So far I've only listened to the first sonata and first partita in the new set. I have little doubt, however, that I'll love all six works, despite the violin sound. Here's hoping the sound fashion changes while Ms Ibragimova is still in top-flight form, as here.

8 comments:

oisfetz said...

Yes, but there are many "purists" that insist on that's the "authentic" way to play Bach; no vibrato, no accents, no nothing. Boring and awful. I would prefer an gipsy romanian violinist playing Bach on his style, that those empty interpretations.

Lee said...

So Milstein is still your No.1 desert island choice for the Bach S&P, Harry?

Harry Collier said...

No. 1 choice? Quite difficult, with something like the Bach unaccompanieds. Yes, Milstein on DG is superb. But I also like Heifetz. And I also like Lara St John. And I also, despite the baroque stuff, like Alina. I think my No.1 choice would end up as 1a, 1b, 1c and 1d.

oisfetz said...

I don't like Milstein much. Too fast
tempi, too nervous for my taste. My all time favorite is still the first Szering recording: serene, with an absolutely pure sound and intonation, playing all the inner voices, beautiful IMO.

Harry Collier said...

Humm. Anyone starting a Henryk Szeryng fan club is probably in for a lonely life! He was a sort of Polish version of Albert Spalding. But Arthur Rubinstein liked him.

Lee said...

What about Josef Suk? I listened to his EMI set - seemed slow and serene to me.

Harry Collier said...

I don't know Josef Suk's recording. He is a violinist I usually respect rather than admire. In alphabetical order, I have complete Bach unaccompanieds from: Ehnes, Enescu, Erlih, Ferras, Fischer, Gimpel, Grumiaux, Heifetz, Ibragimova, Kagan, Kuijken, Martzy, Menuhin, Milstein, Ricci, Schmid, St John, Szigeti and Telmanyi. Some are outstanding, most are interesting and enjoyable, a few are duds. But, anyway, it's enough! It's only sad that Kreisler never recorded them (bar a few isolated movements).

Lee said...

Hi - Milstein sounds very good - nice and clear - no idiosyncracies, phrasing is very clear, rhythm is fine, speeds not that fast, technique is secure - even for anyone of age 31 or 51. He was 71 when he did the DG set.