Sunday 25 October 2009

Good ear-friendly CD from the Bulgarian Svetlin Roussev and the Russian Elena Rozanova playing Franco-Belgian music. Hard to say anything new about César Franck's sonata or Ysaÿe's third sonata. But I enjoyed hearing again Saint-Saëns's Introduction & Rondo Capriccioso. Also an entirely new six minute piece -- an Andantino Quietoso by Franck that I have never heard before. Violinists should take it up as a alternative to the hackneyed Méditation from Thaïs or the crumby Banjo & Fiddle. It probably never made it to the established short-piece list because, at six minutes, it was too long for a 78 rpm side during the vital recording period 1905-50. "Too long, Monsieur Franck".

Roussev plays well, and Rozanova is a highly intelligent player; when I make my long-delayed Carnegie Hall début, I'll choose Rozanova as my partner.

4 comments:

Lee said...

A world record of the oldest fella who is making his Carnegie debut? Haha Harry!

Harry Collier said...

I may be wrong, but I seem to recall that Ida Haendel made her Carnegie Hall début when she was well into her 70s !

Lee said...

OK - time for you to make your debut
at 80 - then you will trump Ida Haendel. Haha.

oisfetz said...

Harry, you should ask me for chamber you don't know. I've that Franck's piece, and also his ""Grand duo concertante in B flat major op.14 on motives from Gulistan by Dalayrac".
As long as you continue to collect the "n" version of the same work, you'll miss a lot of fine pieces.