Sunday 2 May 2010

I really must cut down my rate of CD purchases. For every surprise triumph, there are many one-listen disappointments. The two CD set of Oscar Shumsky playing unaccompanied Bach was a major and unexpected success. But the new Nikolaus Harnoncourt CD of three Bach cantatas really added nothing to my (vast) collection. I bought David Nadien playing the Brahms violin concerto not to listen to the Seattle Youth Orchestra, nor to the Brahms concerto that I know so well. I wanted to listen to David Nadien playing, but he is balanced so far back you can hardly hear him, so it's all a bit of a dead loss and the CD will go into the "unheard" rack.

Still, the CD of Yevgeny Sudbin playing Scarlatti was a great and unexpected success. The Volume II of Naxos transfers of Fritz Kreisler's acoustic recordings from 1911 and 1912 is a model of transfer technology; the 90 year old recordings come up nearly as good as new, and Kreisler's inimitable tone is preserved, merely at the expense of a bit of background hiss from the 78s. But the sound is of a quality I missed in the over-scrubbed, squeaky-clean Pristine Audio transfers of the Busch Quartet recently. With these old Kreisler recordings, you forget about the music -- which is mainly frightfully light-weight -- and just wallow in the sound of Kreisler in his prime.

3 comments:

Lee said...

Hi Harry - My Shumsky Bach S&P should be on the way. When I get my set, I will give you my thoughts.

As for Nadien Brahms VC, let me do a "Ward Marston" on it. Send me a CDR and I will re-do the sound. In fact, I re-did the Rabin Tchaikovsky VC with Smith & the Philadelphia Orchestra to good effect (in my opinion too).

My Naxos Kreisler Vol 2 is also on the way with Vol 1. Let you know when I get them too.

Harry Collier said...

Lee, I'll happily send you the original of the Nadien CD. You can't hear him! Fine for those who want to sit back and listen to the Seattle Youth Orchestra, however.

Lee said...

No need to send the cover (that adds to the weight). Just send in a padded envelope will do. I will send you my wish list in a week or two. Thanks Harry.