Saturday 12 March 2011

Unusual weekend so far. Music centred on Ludwig van Beethoven (of all people) and re-visited the works of my childhood: sixth and seventh symphonies, plus fourth and fifth piano concertos.

The symphonies were played by Willem Mengelberg and the Concertgebouw Orchestra (public performances, April 1940). The (Pristine) sound was excellent, for the period, and the orchestra glowed with a rich, golden sound. Fascinating to hear a great conductor and a great orchestra of 70 years ago. But I cannot take Mengelberg's tempo in the trio of the third movement of the seventh symphony; it is so slow! When the wretched trio came around for the second time, I had to skip forward to the finale.

The two concertos were played on a new CD by Yevgeny Sudbin who is my kind of pianist. A truly incredible technique, but playing that has you listening intently to Beethoven, rather than to Sudbin. Pretty definitive versions of these two old warhorses.

And Morrison's had a special offer of gilt-head bream, so I bought two fish and eat one this evening. Grilled simply with olive oil, mixed herbs, salt and pepper and then adorned with squeezed lemon. Light, flavoursome and delicious. When I am re-incarnated I'll open a restaurant: Casa Paganini?

1 comment:

Lee said...

Looks like I have to get the Sudbin Beethoven PC 4 & 5 myself. Got rave reviews. For PC 5, I like Bishop-Kovacevich with Colin Davis as 1 of my top versions.