Friday 16 December 2011

Sibelius seems to have fallen out of fashion for the moment, although back in the 1950s and 60s he was all the rage (just as, at the present time, we suffer from wall-to-wall Mahler). Almost by chance, this evening I pulled his second symphony off the rack (LSO conducted by Colin Davis) and I enjoyed it immensely. A big plus for my wireless headphones, this ability to listen to the thundering climax at the end of the finale without feeling guilty because of my neigbbours. I must listen to Sibelius more often; strangely enough, I've never been able to take to the third and fourth symphonies – though I like all the others and have a very soft spot for the somewhat uncharacteristic sixth symphony. Davis and the LSO are good in Sibelius whose symphonies inhabit that fin-de-siècle land that also contained Rachmaninov and Elgar.

2 comments:

don said...

I'd suggest you find the 1959 LSO Monteux recording, which has even made its way to CD. The transparency Monteux coaxes from the orchestra is really quite ravishing. It's my favorite in this magnificent work. The Davis performance is good if perhaps a bit stolid for my tastes. A live and somewhat insane Beecham 1954 performance has also surfaced, incredible in its sense of gesture but in poor sound.

Harry Collier said...

Thanks for the tip. I HAVE this Monteux recording (coupled with Elgar) but had forgotten all about it. I'll dig it out.