Monday 19 January 2015

The Nemtanu Sisters play Bach

Around 60 years ago, I began to play the Bach violin concertos on my violin (with piano accompaniment). The A major, the E major and the D minor double concerto (where, for some reason, I always played the violin 1 part). Up until a few decades ago, I could still play the violin parts of the three concertos by heart. Recordings were always a problem; I don't like dry, scrawny imitation “baroque” playing in violin concertos, nor giant symphony orchestra renditions. Best stand-by up until now has been Nathan Milstein in the 1960s, with Erica Morini in the double concerto.

Wanting a good modern recording, I chanced upon the two sisters Deborah and Sarah Nemtanu, with the Paris Chamber Orchestra. Deborah plays the A minor, Sarah the E major, and both play the D minor. A couple of Bach Two-part Inventions are included, with Deborah playing the viola and Sarah the violin.

Pleasant versions of these over-familiar works. Neither violinist is “baroque”, thank heavens, although many tempi are slightly faster than I would have liked. Since Johann Sebastian Bach gave no timings -- he probably did not even own a stopwatch -- I am not sure from whence comes the idea that Bach's music must jog along at a rapid pace. Certainly his music needs to flow; but it also needs to breathe.

The CD also contains a concerto grosso for two violins, harpsichord and string orchestra by Alfred Schnittke. Not altogether a good idea, I feel. Schnittke's work is pleasant enough, but is totally out-classed by Bach; a bit like putting me in a boxing ring with Muhammed Ali in his prime.


No comments: