Sunday 31 January 2016

Fanny Clamagirand

As a break from my current wall-to-wall Haydn listening (twelve more recordings of the symphonies on the way via Amazon), I had a sudden urge to listen to Camille Saint-SaĆ«ns' three violin concertos. Why on earth they are not played and heard regularly I cannot imagine. One of the mysteries of musical taste and fashion. I listened to the three concertos today played by Fanny Clamagirand, a superb French violinist. First class music. First class playing from Clamagirand. Excellent back-up from the Finnish orchestra. First class recording and price from Naxos. For what more can one ask? Frequently my family members comment on my enormous collection of recordings: “Do you really listen to them all?” No, I do not. But it is marvellous that, when suddenly some whim comes into my head, I can head off to my shelves and find the recording that is buzzing through my brain.

No comments: