Monday 21 March 2016

Pictures at an Exhibition: Khatia Buniatishvili

I have always liked the piano playing of Khatia Buniatishvili; her latest CD featuring Mussorgsky's familiar Pictures at an Exhibition, Ravel's La Valse, plus three movements from Stravinsky's Petrushka, proves no exception. I have no idea how her rendition of Pictures compares with others — including Richter's famous 1958 recording from Sofia. All I know is that I love sitting back and listening to this music under Buniatishvili's fingers. The Mussorgsky is particularly good; I much prefer Petrushka in its orchestral original, but if anyone is going to please me with the piano version of the dances, it is Khatia. A CD for frequent replays. The liner notes are pretty bad: a bizarre mixture of pseudo-philosophy and psycho-babble. Well you can't have it all, all the time.

In between listening to Mussorgsky, I have to find a way to eat the 1.6 kilo ox tongue I have just cooked and pressed. It looks pretty daunting sitting waiting on its plate.

No comments: