Tuesday 11 September 2018

Music for Moods


I have nothing in common with Sergei Rachmaninov. He was twice in exile; once from his beloved Russia, the second time from Europe convulsed in wars. He ended his days in what must have seemed to him a somewhat barbaric land, playing almost non-stop in order to earn money for himself, his family, and his entourage. This evening I sat peacefully in England, with no wars currently in sight; yet I really needed to immerse myself in the music of Rachmaninov, first the second symphony, then the second piano concerto. For the symphony, only Valery Gergiev and the Kirov orchestra would do. For the second piano concerto, only Boris Giltburg could be chosen. It was an all-Russian evening, and a highly satisfactory one, at that. Strange how moods dictate musical choice, which is one reason I always hesitated before buying in advance a ticket for a musical evening. Imagine turning out at 7:30 on a Thursday to hear Haydn, when your mood says “Rachmaninov” !

2 comments:

don said...

Have you perhaps ever come across the 1945 recording of the Rachmaninoff 2nd conducted by the "Russian Furtwangler" Nikolai Golovanov? I'd recommend it as a particularly probing account, one which does take considerable liberties, however, with the score (I for one regard this as worthy tinkering in Golovanov's hands).

You can find it on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAYqjYPCCGk

With best regards, -Don

Harry Collier said...

Thanks for this, Don. I'll give it a try.

Harry