Friday 27 September 2019

Beethoven Re-visited


In my young years, I somewhat overdosed on Beethoven symphonies, particularly the 3rd, 5th, 6th and 7th. As a result, I rarely turn to them now, though yesterday I took out the 7th symphony for an airing. The conductor was Otto Klemperer, and the orchestra in 1960 the Philharmonia. The sound is still excellent for its time. Klemperer is my Beethoven conductor; his somewhat grim character seems to chime well with the temperamental Beethoven. With Klemperer you get a first-rate sense of form and balance, you hear all the parts of the music, you get a conductor immersed in the music rather than in self-promotion. With the Philharmonia in 1960 you get fine orchestral playing, though without the distinctive sound of that era in Berlin, Vienna, Paris, Leningrad or Philadelphia.

In my peak Beethoven years in the 1950s, it was Karajan, Furtwängler and Toscanini who led the field. Furtwängler and Toscanini never made it into the stereo era, when recorded orchestral sound really became a lot better. Karajan was always a bit too concerned with Karajan and beautiful sound for my liking, and frantic Italian Toscanini much too concerned with being Toscanini, the fastest conductor on Earth. So for the Beethoven symphonies I am happy with my EMI Klemperer box, apart from the 9th symphony for which one needs Furtwängler.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Best ever Beethoven Eroica with Klemp is his Copenhagen 1957 account. Check it up if you don't know it already.
It is in fact one of the best Eroicas ever along with Monteux's (RCO), Mengelberg's and Furt's 1944 VPO-version (best via Pristine).
Greetings,
Björn Westberg
SWEDEN

Harry Collier said...

Many thanks, Björn. Personal recommendations very welcome. I have this Klemperer recording -- somewhere. The problem is finding it, amongst all my Klemperer offers.