Saturday 8 February 2020

Mozart, Clara Haskil, and Asian Food

No quiet music listening recently, since life was occupied by a two-week trip to Asia: Luang Prabang, and Kuala Lumpur. On my return, I immediately turned to Mozart played by Clara Haskil; the two-piano concerto (with Geza Anda), the K 491 concerto, and the K 330 sonata. There is something about Mozart and Clara Haskil that is always completely and utterly satisfying. I have come to Mozart big time in my later life, and find his music eternally moving.

Also completely and utterly satisfying was the food in Laos and Kuala Lumpur. Asian food suits me down to the ground, especially the Chinese food (mainly shellfish, and fresh mangos) that I had in Kuala Lumpur with a good friend (who also gave me the Mozart-Haskil CD). If I could spend my life sitting beside the Mekong, eating Chinese food and listening to Clara Haskil playing Mozart, with a glass of whisky, I would be eternally and supremely happy.

No comments: