Thursday 2 December 2021

Anton Bruckner and Bernard Haitink

Sorting through my large CD archives I came across a performance of Bruckner's 7th symphony conducted by Bernard Haitink and played by the Berlin Philharmonic in the Albert Hall in London on 28th August 2000. It's a magnificent performance of a magnificent symphony, and I had forgotten what a marvellous conductor Bernard Haitink was. With Haitink on the podium, it's just you and Bruckner with no flamboyant intermediary determined to make his mark.

I was an early convert to Bruckner's music, way back in my teens. I have always preferred his music to that of Mahler; they are often paired, having both stemmed from Austria and written nine long symphonies each. But there is a nobility and humanity in Bruckner's music; one does not readily associate nobility and humanity with Gustav Mahler. Listening to Bruckner's 7th symphony was a thoroughly enjoyable one hour experience. One can understand Thomas Beecham's remark about nine pregnancies and eight miscarriages; anyone in a hurry doesn't need Bruckner. You just need to sit back and bask in the music.

My other pleasant surprise was the excellent sound of the old CD, recorded off-air by me in August 2000. The sumptuous orchestral sound came over well. An enjoyable visit to the archives.


No comments: