Saturday 31 December 2022

My Record of the Year: Eternal Heaven (Handel)

"I can resist anything, except temptation," Oscar Wilde once quipped. Well, I can resist buying yet another CD; unless it's a collection of Handel arias. The latest to be added to my immense collection of Handel is a CD titled "Eternal Heaven" and features Lea Desandre (mezzo-soprano), Iestyn Davies (counter-tenor), and a small orchestra called Jupiter, directed by Thomas Dunford. 21 tracks, all sung in English, starting with the wonderful aria "Eternal source of light divine" from the birthday ode for Queen Anne (where the solo trumpet is transcribed for Lea Desandre; not a bad idea).

As so often with Handel, the music is wonderful. Handel was a truly great melodist, with a master's touch. I liked both singers -- even the counter-tenor -- and the small band plays much as Handel would have wanted. Many favourite arias from Semele, Theodora, Solomon, Susanna, Esther, and others. A CD strongly recommended for those who want 86 minutes of often achingly beautiful music (try "Hither let our hearts transpire" from Theodora, or "To thee thou glorious son of earth", from the same oratorio.). A CD to file in my "keep close to hand" rack. They don't write music like this any more. "Comfort music"? It may well be. If so: long live comfort music!

I first listened to this new CD on 31st December, so it's just in time to be my Record of the Year 2022. A big bravo to the two soloists, the Jupiter band, the recording company (Erato, recording in a Normandy chapel). And to Mr Händel for the music.


No comments: