Friday 21 March 2008

Worked at this weekend's Thai shellfish soup; preparation took 75 minutes today (mainly because of the quantity of smallish squid). We shall see what it turns out like tomorrow evening when I start eating it, but my heart was set on Thai soup this weekend.

In music, as in food, it's usually best to follow one's instincts. My musical instincts this evening demanded the Schubert B flat major sonata D 960 (played by Leif Ove Andsnes) and, yet again, the second Rachmaninov symphony conducted by Mikhail Pletnev. This time, though, I did toy with the Previn, Fischer and Litton versions; a glance at their timings, however, (slower) sent me back to Pletnev. Rachmaninov must not drag, and this is true of all the post Romantics. It is highly instructive listening to Rachmaninov and to Elgar in their own music; very pre- Herbert von Karajan.

A bit ridiculous listening yet again to two old faithfuls given the number of "awaiting listening" CDs in my pile (with two new CDs due for delivery tomorrow). But if that is what one's body demands at the time ...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rach Sym 2 by Sanderling really moves & it is on DG Originals. Do you know it, Harry?

Harry Collier said...

No; I have four versions of the Rachmaninov Second (Pletnev, Fischer, Litton and Previn). Quite enough! Pre-1970 this symphony was usually disfigured by cuts; I think it was Previn who showed that cuts were not needed.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for reminding me about the Sanderling recording of the Rachmaninov 2nd Symphony. I'd forgotten I had it, having bought it on the Heliodor label when at university in the late sixties. It was the first non-piano Rachmaninov music I had heard at the time and I was bowled over. I was again last night once I had retrieved the disc from the outer reaches (well protected)of the loft. Well worth the effort. Previn is still tops (partially because of the divine clarinet solo in the 3rd movt from Jack Brymer) but Fischer is not at all bad and both are a lot better than Askenasy with the Concertebouw.