Saturday 28 March 2009

Back from a good trip to France (Nice and Nîmes). Celebrated my return with more Rachmaninov, the second symphony again; this is a work I really like and one that really speaks to me. The recording chosen this time was that conducted by Ivan Fischer (Budapest Festival Orchestra), and really well recorded (Channel Classics). In this symphony I like Pletnev, and the Sanderling 1956 recording. But, just maybe, it is for the Fischer recording I'll reach for in the future.

Otherwise, more Bach cantatas, that are becoming my daily bread (along with Handel). The latest very fine CD sees Herreweghe back in action. And although I have eaten shoals of sea bream in my life, today was the first time ever I actually bought and cooked one. Truly excellent. I think the sea bream will now join Bach and Handel as part of my staple diet.

2 comments:

Lee said...

Harry - You meant Channel Classics, not Brilliant Classics, right? I see that you like the less-wallowing approach to Rachmaninov. Do you know the Earl Wild version of the PC's?

Cheers - Lee

Harry Collier said...

Lee,

I am corrected. It is indeed Channel Classics. Very fine recording quality. As for Earl Wild; how could I possibly listen to someone called "Earl"? For the Rachmaninov concertos (2 and 3) I now tend to favour Rachmaninov himself. He was a very fine pianist, and also understood that unstable music like his, plus Tchaikovsky, Mahler, etc, did not need extra dollops of hysteria from the performer.