Friday 8 April 2011

James Ehnes in the Mendelssohn Concerto

Mendelssohn's violin concerto is a happy, uncomplicated little work. It plumbs no depths and provokes no deep thoughts or feelings. When played in a straightforward manner it offers a happy 30 minutes, or so. I therefore greatly enjoyed James Ehnes's recent recording (with Ashkenazy and the Philharmonia). Ehnes's performance has been criticised by some for being hard-hearted; not by me. He zips through the concerto and does not stamp on the brakes immediately a sentimental episode comes in sight (as did Andrew Haveron at a concert I attended a few years ago). No good trying to pretend Mendelssohn is late Schubert, Mozart or Beethoven. The orchestra does not play a major part in this concerto, so Ashkenazy's punctilious accompanying is fine by me.

3 comments:

Lee said...

It is a very fine performance Harry. Any comments about the Octet? I love it too! Superbly played.

Harry Collier said...

I agree: also a superb octet played without fuss and posturing. A very enjoyable CD.

Lee said...

Well, I love the CD too. It is one of the best that Ehnes did.