Sunday 1 May 2011

I had not come across Vadim Gluzman before (except in one short piece). But I enjoyed listening to him playing the Glazunov and Korngold violin concertos – helped by a BIS recording that meant even I could hear the violin when it was playing pianissimo. Gluzman, who hails from the Ukraine, is a romantic player with a full tone and impeccable technique. How he is ever hoping to stand out from his current 30-40 rivals, all of whom also have impressive techniques and make lovely sounds, I cannot imagine.

The Gluzman CD also contains two works by Balys Dvarionas, a 20th century Lithuanian composer who wrote pleasant music that is agreeable to listen to in a Soviet people's music sort of way. More interesting, certainly, than yet another version of the Beethoven Romances for violin and orchestra with which I have been deluged recently.

No comments: