Saturday 9 June 2012

Wihan Quartet


An interesting juxtaposition, listening to the Wihan Quartet playing a string quartet in E major by Paganini, followed immediately by Schubert's D minor quartet D 810 (“Death and the Maiden”). The Paganini quartet is well written and immensely enjoyable. Moving to the Schubert, one immediately sees the difference between enjoyable music, and great music. By any measure, the Schubert quartet is one of the world's greatest pieces of music.

I was so impressed with the Wihan Quartet in the Schubert that I immediately ordered the Wihan's new re-make of the work (coupled this time with the “Rosamunde” quartet). I never thought anyone would equal the Busch Quartet in the Schubert work; but the Wihan manages it.

2 comments:

MUSE said...

In case you might not be familiar with the New Russian Quartet, I recommend it.

Harry Collier said...

I know plenty of old Russian Quartets, but not he New Russian Quartet. I'll look out for it. Thanks for the tip.