Sunday 28 June 2020

Leonidas Kavakos and Enrico Pace in Beethoven sonatas

Every violinist worthy of the name (and some unworthy) has played the violin part of the ten sonatas for violin and piano by Beethoven. Even I have played them. Many violinists have recorded the complete set, starting with Kreisler and Franz Rupp in the 1930s. They are, in the main, genial works and not too typical of Beethoven in tub-thumping mood. My favourites are the second (op.12 no.2 in A major), the eighth (op.30 no.3 in G major) and the last sonata (op 96 in G major). To be heard at their best on record, they demand two exemplary partners, plus a realistic balance between piano and violin. Though as a violinist I hate to admit it, in most of the sonatas the pianist is even more important than the violinist. On my shelves I have eleven complete sets of the sonatas, starting with the classic Kreisler set. My latest re-listening has been to the complete set recorded 2011-12 by Leonidas Kavakos and Enrico Pace (re-issued recently by Sony).

I have been an admirer of Kavakos's playing for many years, and I have also developed a healthy respect for Enrico Pace as a duo partner. The pair do not disappoint in these Beethoven sonatas, and the recorded balance is excellent and the balance between the two musicians exactly as wanted. What more can one ask? Even the re-issue price is a real bargain. With my eleven sets, I really, really do not need more, but when I want to listen again to the Beethoven violin and piano sonatas, my hand will always stray now towards Kavakos and Pace. They are both so musical !


No comments: