Saturday 11 July 2020

The Music of J.S. Bach, and Beatrice Rana, again

I can never explain to myself – or to anyone else – just why I find the music of J.S. Bach so satisfying. There is more drama in the music of Tchaikovsky or Shostakovich. A greater profusion of beautiful melodies in the music of Handel, Schubert or Bellini. A greater range of human emotions in the music of Mozart or Beethoven. I have just been re-listening to the 77 minutes of the 30 variations of Bach's Goldberg Variations: satisfying! My attention never wanders. The performance to which I listened today was once again the highly personal account by young Beatrice Rana, who plays the music exactly as I would hope to play it (if ever I had learned to play the piano). What is so eternally satisfying about these variations? I cannot possibly explain.


No comments: