Saturday 16 January 2021

Sandrine Piau in Handel: "Between Heaven and Earth"

My long-serving Marantz CD Player went kaput when the CD tray refused consistently to open, and I was left during lockdown with around 1000 CDs and no means of listening to them. Utter frustration. Ebay supplied a replacement Marantz within two days; removing the old player, and installing the new, was easy but both needed me to lie on the floor on my stomach: and then to get to my feet again afterwards. Easy when you are 18 years old; perilous when you are 80.

 I celebrated the new player with Handel; a superb CD titled “Between Heaven and Earth”, with arias and recitatives in English sung by the wonderful honeyed soprano of Sandrine Piau, one of my all-time favourite singers. The Accademia Bizanta supplied the accompaniments, with some orchestral interludes. Excellent recording by Naïve. Gold-standard music for 77 minutes, with wonderful melodies, wonderful singing, and excellent instrumentalists. Handel's music is still going strong after some 220 years, and deservedly so.

 

No comments: