Wednesday 6 January 2021

Stars of 2020

I became interested in “classical” music at the age of around 10 years old, coming from a musical family. Since then, I have listened to music for around 70 years and now have a current collection of around 1,000 CDs, replacing my previous collection of hundreds of LPs. Most of my listening is to recordings of the past, favourites over many decades, such as the Busch Quartet from the 1930s. But, occasionally, a new classic pops up on my personal radar. My two classics from 2020 were:

Vikingur Olafsson playing short pieces, preludes and fugues by Bach. And Olaffson playing an imaginative selection of short pieces by Rameau and Debussy.

Renaud Capuçon with Bertrand Chamayou and Edgar Moreau in chamber music and sonatas by Saint-Saëns.

Three CDs that have given me immense pleasure, and are never filed away on my shelves with the other 1,000.

No comments: