Saturday 30 July 2022

Grumiaux and Haskil brought to life in Beethoven

The ten sonatas for violin and piano by Beethoven were recorded by Arthur Grumiaux and Clara Haskil between September 1956 and January 1957. They were immediately recognised as really great performances, a status they have retained until the present time. They fully deserve the adage: “if you own only one recording of these sonatas …” The last reincarnation of these works that I own was by Decca, released in 2007 in an “analogue to digital remaster”.

I was sent a new transfer of the ten, and compared it with the Decca box. The difference in sound was immediately noticeable. I tested old versus new with Op 30 No.3, one of my favourite sonatas with its lovely slow movement and impressive finale. The Decca sounded boxy and old; the new transfers by Alexandre Bak for Classical Music Reference Recording freed the sound and could have been recorded yesterday. A revelation, and a big accolade to Alexandre Bak. From now on his is the only version I need on my shelves, and Grumiaux and Haskil live on happily and in good recorded sound.

No comments: