Monday 24 June 2024

Janine Jansen plays Sibelius and Prokofiev

With 42 recordings of the Sibelius violin concerto, and 25 of the first Prokofiev violin concerto on my shelves, one would have thought this was quite enough. I have grown up listening to Ginette Neveu and Heifetz in the Sibelius for over 70 years now. During the rare occasions I re-listen, I find I am concentrating more on the violin playing than on the too-familiar music. Of the two concertos, the Prokofiev has survived best for me; it is highly inventive and grips attention right to the end, even after some 70 years of listening.

If I did not have a satisfactory recording of either concerto, my current addition of Janine Jansen (with Klaus Mäkelä and the Oslo Philharmonic) would be my ideal. Jansen is a superb violinist, and even though classical music is international (except in Africa) there is something that feels right with North Europeans playing music that is 100% North European. A truly excellent CD that will probably see me ignore the 41 rival versions in future. Well done Ms Jansen.


No comments: