Wednesday 26 June 2024

Robert Schumann's Dichterliebe and Opus 39 Liederkreis

Both my parents came from poor homes, and both left school at 13 years old. Both of them were fervently musical and were determined that their five children would have the best possible education, so we found ourselves learning French, German, and Italian. Very fortunate for music lovers; this evening I reacquainted myself with Schumann's Dichterliebe. What wonderful music! But with no knowledge of the German language, and little knowledge of Heinrich Heine's 19th century Germany, I don't know whether this sublime music would have had the same effect on me. Anyway: A real masterpiece, and another great pillar of European music. I am no great fan of most of Robert Schumann's music; but his Lieder really are something else.

I enjoyed the Dichterleibe so much, that I went on to listen to the Opus 39 Liederkreis, with poems by Joseph von Eichendorff. Decades ago, I learned the words by heart, even copying out the texts into old school exercise books. Some things one does when young are of immense benefit later on. I greatly enjoyed renewing my acquaintance with Op 39. Singer in the Eichendorff poems was Werner Güra; in the Dichterliebe, Christian Gerhaher. In German Lieder, you really need German singers (just as, in French mélodies, you really need French singers).


No comments: