Saturday 26 January 2008

Rather disgusting meal this evening; I really must avoid anything that describes itself as being "en croûte" since, for whatever reason, it never seems to work for me, be it salmon or chicken. Not a success.
Went on afterwards to enjoy .... The Four Seasons! Violinist was David Nadien ((1960) who also led the three players in Mozart's Divertimento K 563. No baroqueux, thank goodness. As a dessert, I put on Furtwängler in Bruckner's 9th Symphony (1944). The secret of this superb performance is not to listen to it through headphones; the 1944 sound is extraordinary, but does not respond well to headphones, but sounds out loud and clear through my loudspeakers.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Harry, I was pleased to see the name of Nadien show up on the internet. Yes, he was a superb fiddler. Would you like a live Tchaikovsky with Berstein/NYPSO? I have no other Nadien performances other than those you have mentioned.

Tom

Harry Collier said...

Tom, A very kind offer. Thanks for thinking of me! But another friend already supplied the Nadien / Bernstein performance (which is extremely good). I THINK I now have all the Nadien that exists; but I hope to be proved wrong one day.

Thanks again, Harry