Monday 28 January 2008

Remade acquaintance with Marina Chiche (with Jérôme Ducros), an off-air recording from David Gomberg. The opening Debussy sonata is good, but cool and classical; the following Schubert "Grand Duo" a bit under-played and leaves one longing for Rachmaninov and Kreisler. But the following Strauss sonata is magnificent, and is played for all it's worth. What a shame Strauss only wrote one violin & piano sonata! Anyway, its over-the-top romanticism suits Chiche and Ducros admirably. A great pity there are some bad drop outs during the final minutes of the finale; couldn't have come at a worse place. Still, it's a performance to be remembered.
Eat a canard à l'orange that my stomach doesn't like too much. I think I'll have to return to cooking my own food from my own purchased ingredients. More work, but more pleasure, I think.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not heard of her but she must be up & coming. Great piece that R Strauss VS. I love it!

Harry Collier said...

Comes from Marseille. She has a new (first?) CD coming out in April, in France.

Anonymous said...

Yeah - I saw the first few searches on Google including a Sarasate video.
What's on the 1st CD?

Harry Collier said...

Her website is still under construction but does note:

Imminent release of a solo CD from Intrada called "After a reading of Bach" with music by Bach, Ysaye, Prokofiev, Beffa".