Friday 7 August 2009

I am quite pleased with myself. It is good to find I am not yet too old as to overcome prejudices. Give me a jazzy-type CD featuring a quintet playing South American-type music (all those sambas, tangos, rumbas and -- for all I know -- tongas), and throw in the fact that the lead player squeezes away on an accordion, of all things: a recipe for the back of a back shelf. But a CD featuring a quintet (in 1963) led by Astor Piazzolla playing the music of the said Piazzolla has given me a great deal of pleasure. The music is highly sophisticated and the instrumental combination -- violin, guitar, piano, double bass, and accordion -- interesting and eclectic. A disc to re-listen to often. Supplied courtesy of Carlos.

1 comment:

oisfetz said...

Glad you like it, Harry. IMO, it's chamber music on tango times. Astor was a full professional,he knew his job and he and all the other players were real virtuosi. But he didn't play the accordion but the "bandoneón", a german invent almost lost except on Argentina and Uruguay. Agri was one of the best tango violinists in the country.