Sunday 30 August 2009

Loud rock music all weekend in the field next to where I live. Makes normal life impossible. I have had to take to listening to loud music through my (quite good) Sennheiser headphones. Thus I re-discovered Marin Alsop's broadcast performance of Elgar's second symphony and I have to say it's pretty good in a rough and ready sort of way. Alsop knows you must not linger in Elgar, and she propels the orchestra through the four movements, all to great advantage. The Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra has some good wind players and exuberant brass, though the violins always sound a little weak (too many anorexic girls in the band). Still, the orchestra makes up with enthusiasm what it lacks in finesse. This was an enjoyable performance that, at times, defeated the sounds of the rock band. A fortuitous selection from my CD shelf.

2 comments:

Lee said...

No Harry - you should fight back with St Saens Organ Symphony 4th mvt at full tilt. Not Elgar! Haha!

Harry Collier said...

The Elgar symphonies are superb; much better than anything by Beethoven or Mozart, and nearly as good as the symphonies of Anton Bruckner !