Sunday 9 August 2009

The Naxos CD of duos by de Bériot contains some excellent music. My opinion of de Bériot goes up and up. On a summer's afternoon, with a glass of Crémant de Loire in hand, there is little that could beat this music. The playing by Christine Sohn and John Marcus, two New Yorkers, is fluent and professional. You would not mistake the duo for Heifetz and Milstein, and they lack the individual sound and style that these two would have brought to the music. But the CD is very welcome indeed and makes one wonder why these attractive pieces of music are not played and recorded regularly. I'm also sad that I never had the chance to play them in my violin-playing days.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Naxos offers some great music and has done so for years. I recently purchased a Naxos cd of Locatelli. I enjoyed it greatly.