Tuesday 31 March 2020

Edward Elgar's Piano Quintet

It is sad that so much really worthwhile music from the past is rarely, or never played. I recently rejoiced in my discovery of Jean-Philippe Rameau's music, but I suspect one could attend concerts for years on end even in highly musical countries such as Germany or France without encountering performances of Edward Elgar's Piano Quintet. I first encountered the work many years ago at a concert in Boxgrove Priory accompanied by three of my four sisters, and I immediately fell in love with it. Composed in 1918-19 after the devastation in Europe of the first world war, the quintet is suffused with an aching nostalgia for a world that had disappeared (Elgar's world, since he was in his early sixties when he composed it). I listened to it again today in a 2010 recording by Piers Lane and the Goldner String Quartet. Maybe the finale is not quite up to the standard of the first two movements but, then, finales rarely are. Elgar's piano quintet is a wonderful work from 100 years ago and it will always be on my “play it again” list.

No comments: