Sunday 15 March 2020

The Violin, and Sueye Park

I re-listened with great admiration to the CD of Sueye Park playing Paganini's 24 caprices. Ms Park was only 17 at the time of this recording, I seem to remember, but she combines extraordinary technical ability with a thoughtful and musical approach to the works. The 24 caprices should not be an excuse for pure virtuoso showing off. Listening to the works, I am also full of admiration for what can be achieved on the four strings of one violin, and I am reminded that these are works that tend to shine with younger players – Tianwa Yang, and Michael Rabin spring to mind. Many violinists, like singers, tend to descend into Autumn after the age of around 50; pianists and conductors seem to go on for ever.

The violin with its four strings is a difficult instrument to play well. I took up the violin at the age of 11 or 12 (very late). In 1962 I acquired from a charity shop my current violin, labelled Mantegazza, Milan, 1792. Probably a fake, but the Mantegazza clan was prolific for over half a century, so maybe it was made by a junior Mantegazza in 1792. Anyway, it's my violin, not that at the age of nearly 80 I can play at all well. 80 is well past 50. Maybe I should take up conducting; a baton in the right hand is a lot less demanding than a violin bow.

No comments: