Saturday 21 March 2020

Food Shopping: March 2020

Shopping today was a bit like Russia in the 60s and 70s: you forgot about shopping lists, and just bought what you could. Banana section was a desert; taramasalata to be had nowhere. Plenty of bread in M&S Food, but "Count on Us" range of dishes had only one or two packets left on the entire shelf. Fish counter in Morrison's closed down, and Deli counter due to close shortly (I snatched up the last brawn I'll see for probably many months, and live mussels are now just a dream). I avoided my fellow-shoppers (nothing new there). Every time Russians went out during the 50s, 60s and 70s, it is said they used to carry "just in case" bags so they could snatch up whatever had just been put on display. A bit like Morrison's in March 2020. But I did manage to snatch up an M&S fish pie. Next week I'll clear the shelves of Waitrose crab pâté, and pork pie.

No comments: